Friday, May 5, 2017

Marathon

This past October I did my 3rd Marathon! I picked the Minneapolis one...because my roommate Nikki and her sister were doing it and because I have a lot of family up there.  I trained all summer which was not easy having surgery and going on vacation. This times training seemed much harder than in previous two...I am assuming it had something to do with age. 

Kyle played soccer on Saturday so as soon as his soccer was over my parents, the kids, Fred and myself headed up to Minnesota. We stayed at James and Bridget's...James was gone back to Iowa for a wedding...but Bridget was a super sister in law and stayed back in Minnesota. 

It was a little chilly the morning of the race...so Fred took me down to the start...we left the kids back sleeping. Fred stayed with me until the race started....I have turned him into the BEST race husband...he knows exactly what to do. 

I was in the 2nd wave of runners....Nikki and her sister Andi were in the 1st wave and I did not think I was going to get to see them before the race but I was standing in line for the bathroom and spotted them. I was so happy to see some familiar faces and get a hug from someone who I knew had the same nerves I did. Once the race started I felt great for the most part...I was trying not to worry about my pace and just run...when I did the Chicago one a while back I started out way too fast...but once again tried NOT to think about that. I had my headphones on and tried to get lost in my music and the crowd.  Fred found at the beginning...he was with Tara...it had started to warm up so I peeled off my long sleeve and handed that off to him. He then went to find Bridget with the kids. About mile 15 I kind of started losing steam but pushed thru...Fred, Bridget, and my parents found me two more times with the kids (like I mentioned he is awesome and so is my family) I got to Mile 20 and started to feel it more...I kept telling myself you have less than an hour of running left...you can do this...stop thinking and just run. My legs were cramping..it was much hillier than I thought was going to be. I got to Mile 24.5 and my legs cramped so bad...like I could see the cramp moving thru my leg. I thought I could not finish...like I was done! I stopped for a second and maybe even cried...I had no idea leg cramps could be like this.  For a second I thought about not finishing...Fred had sent me a text they were at the finish line and knew I could not let the kids down. I took out my headphones and told myself "You have to do this" Like I really said those words out loud to myself.  Once I started running the cramps went away and I slowly got closer and closer. I have never been so happy to see my family and the finish line in my whole life. As I crossed the finish line I look over and see Andi...we finished at the same time. But had no idea we were running next to each other!

I finished the race in 4:22:12
These were my splits

24M


3:59:07
21M3:25:23
30K3:01:37
13.1M2:06:43
10K59:28
5K30:41

My roommate Nikki finished in 3:06:50 and finished in the top 5 in her age group...I now call her Speedy Gonzalez 

Here is a before and after picture with me and the Edwards sisters! 



Here is my cheering crew....Bridget rocks! She went and got cardboard so the kids could make signs...and her and my parents got all 5 kids ready! 


The cutest!



 All done! 

Bridget had left with the kids...but I got one of the ones that were left...my parents are awesome support as well...my Dad had a bad knee and still managed to keep up with Fred. 

I love running and love running long races like this....this race took a toll on me but I will say that I am proud of myself for training and running. And I do have the best support crew out there! On the way home it was easier to stop at Michelle's house and shower so we got to see them as well! 







No comments:

Post a Comment